Earlier the main focus used to be on agriculture. A lot of implications were done and still going on to improve the crop yield and produce better quality crops. Today people are also concerned with better techniques to be used in horticulture for better growth. And using LED lights seems to be a small change but agree or not, it has its contribution in revolutionizing the horticulture is practiced. This article will give you detailed led grow light reviews.
Importance of LED grow light in Horticulture
Horticulture is an intensive form of farming yet it is different. It does not require huge plot of land. In fact, it can be practiced indoors too. Generally, flowering plants, ornamental plants or certain vegetable and fruit plants are grown in horticulture. Some rare species or off season plants are grown in green house where the temperature in well maintained for optimal growth of plants. Although they get sufficient sun light and heat is trapped due to the glass enclosure, LED grow lights are used as a supplement.
Today horticulture is practiced in more and more household mainly for food, aesthetics and recreation. Sometimes plants are grown indoors for educational purpose too. Several research works are undertaken where one needs to study growing of plants in controlled conditions. So in that kind of plant culture, using an LED grow light becomes an important part of the procedure so that the plant meets with all its requirements in an artificial set up.
LED bulbs and LED grow lights. Are they same?
Both are LED and have almost similar kind of advantages like consumption of less electricity, low heating up and giving out brighter light. The only difference that makes growers buy the more expensive LED grow lights is because of the wavelength difference. Plants respond differently to various wavelengths. LED grow lights emit light of exact wavelength which is required for optimum growth. So we can say that these lights are specifically chosen for growth promotion in plants when they are not getting enough sunlight whereas LED bulbs are for illumination. With varying wavelengths of different colors to ultimately produce white light. Although they come cheap, you need to replace them all the time. And in some cases other equipments like hanging equipments, fans etc will be required. LED Grow light eliminates all that ‘extra’ requirements.
Okay, that seems like a lot to read for led grow light reviews. Why not just check out the pros and cons? Let’s dig in!
- LED grow lights do not require much power input as compared to normal light bulbs. Low energy consumption will cut down on electricity bill payments as much as 30% as compared to other types of lights.
- They don’t heat up too much like the normal High Pressure Sodium (HPS) bulbs or the Halide bulbs. The advanced cooling system helps in maintaining a relatively cool temperature yet warm enough for optimum plant growth.
- The intensity of light emitted by LED is usually 3 times more than any other type of light.
- One with positive led grow light reviews will have voltage auto adjust system.
- With no lead or mercury used, it poses no harm to the environment.
- The ultraviolet and infrared diodes improve the plant quality.
- The wide angle feature ensures maximum area coverage, keeping the intensity of light constant. And plus point. It requires no reflector to keep the light focused onto plants like in HPS bulbs.
- One light can last at least 50 hrs. The time goes up with upgraded models.
- More expensive than other lights. But eventually saves money in future.
- LED Grow lights that come with cooling system that has fans will require some maintenance.
- Some of the models have complicated systems which may not be the ones for beginners. Also user manual aren’t good enough to explain everything in details.
How to choose a LED grow light?
If you are looking for a LED grow light but there are just plenty to choose from, no matter whatever be your budget, go through this check list and try to get the maximum out of them.
- It would depend on the type of plants you want to grow. Most led grow light reviews say weed growers use lights with blue and red wavelengths. This helps the plant take in all the nutrients properly resulting in amazing flavor and fragrance. However, you can go for a full spectrum light 180 watt LED if you have multiple types of plants to grow.
- Check if the fan comes with a dust filter as well. This will do half of your job.
- Go for a LED grow light with high power lens. The lens will magnify the light and as a result increase the final light intensity by 20-25%.
- Since plants need light for at least half of the day, the lights have to be continuously kept on for approximately 15 hrs. Buy a LED grow light which can run for a long time span.
- One more important aspect of LED grow light is its beam angle. It has been seen that a 120 degree angle is able to provide the same intensity of light to maximum number of plants.
- A typical LED grow light has a life span of 5 years. Some can go up to 10 years even. So make sure to get a guaranty period of at least 3-4 years.
- Last but not the least; check out led grow light reviews of the particular model you are interested in before investing on it.
So to sum up, led grow lights are much useful when growing plant indoors or during winters when the amount of sunlight is not sufficient for some plants. They might be a little more expensive than the other normal LEDs and HPS bulbs which tend to provide more intensity and more beam angle, but if we talk about overall expense on these lights, LED grow lights prove to have value for money. So go for it if you are dedicated to horticulture practices.